This DIY Sun Science app also includes:
- Graphics & Images
- Lab & Experiment
- Join to access all included materials
Get an up-close-and personal look at the sun from the safety of your classroom with this fun science application. Offering numerous activities, images, and videos, the resource supports children of all ages as they learn about the sun.
From learning about the sun's energy and size, to the fascinating phenomenon of sunspots and solar flares, this app provides learners with a comprehensive look at that amazing fireball in the sky. These topics are investigated through a series of hands-on activities, each with its own summary, estimated duration, appropriate age range, list of materials, step-by-step instructions, and detailed scientific explanation, as well as related instructional videos. In addition, the Sun Observatory section provides users with live satellite images of the sun as seen through different wavelengths of light, with written descriptions of the different observable features on its surface. This resource is a must-have for any elementary or middle school science teacher!
- Sun Cookies
- Big Sun, Small Moon?
- Solar Flare Flip Book
- Model the Sun and Earth
- Solar Convection
- Hot Equator, Cold Poles
- Detect Solar Storms (Advanced)
- Ancient Sun Observations
- Measure the Sun's Size
- Cook with a Solar Oven
- Make a UV Detector
- Make a Prism
- Spot the Sunspots (Advanced)
Provides an in-depth look at the Sun through a variety of hands-on activities, pictures, and videos.
This app can be used year after year for teaching students about the Sun.
Real life photos and videos of the Sun, as well as a series of scientific investigations engage users in learning about the Sun.
Each activity includes a materials list, step-by-step instructions, and scientific explanation.
The app provides unprotected access to social media, e-mail, and the Internet.
How techie do I need to be?
- Select activities to perform with your class as part of a unit on the solar system
- Choose videos and images from the app to view as a supplement to instruction
- Allow students to explore the Sun Observatory feature of the resource independently or with partners as a science center
DIY Sun Science does allow all users to access social media, e-mail, and the Internet. Be sure to provide students with clear expectations regarding the use of these features.
- App is available free of charge
- Includes a range of activities of varying complexity
- Most of the hands-on activities involve the use of common, inexpensive household items