This Drawing Diatoms like Ernst Haeckel lesson plan also includes:
Why do scientists rely on drawings rather than just photographs of their research studies? The lesson introduces drawings of microscopic organisms and the importance of accuracy. Young artists draw organisms and learn why focus and accuracy make a big difference.
- Provide a variety of age-appropriate art supplies rather than just having pupils sketch in pencil on the back of a worksheet
- Learn more about Beatrix Potter's scientific drawings here: http://armitt.com/armitt_website/beatrix-potter-museum-cumbria/
- Relies on prior knowledge of what a microscope does but does not require any prior knowledge of phyto or zooplankton
- Links science, art, and literature
- Highlights two famous scientific artists