This Drug Use in Sports handout & reference also includes:
- Student Reference
- Teacher Reference
- Join to access all included materials
The ancient Greeks used performance enhancing drugs, such as opium juice, when they participated in the original Olympic Games. Pupils research a website with debate topics to decide if athletes' use of such drugs in modern sports is acceptable. They read about the history of drug use in sports, analyze charts about current drug testing practices, and browse readers' comments to formulate a knowledgeable opinion on the issue.
- Support English learners by displaying a poster of sentence stems with common debate language, such as "I agree because ..." or "I disagree because ..."
- Invite small groups to research the original Olympic Games
- Potentially sensitive and mature subject matter (drug use)
- Time required for independent research depends on student needs
- Color codes and separates pros and cons by category for easy navigation
- Includes a helpful site map, source biographies, and footnotes for further research