This Early American Novel: Exploring the Emergence of a Genre lesson plan also includes:
- Join to access all included materials
Need an extra challenge for your best readers? Check out a unit that uses Hannah Webster Foster’s epistolary novel, The Coquette, published in 1797, as the anchor text. The resource is packed with project ideas; each with its own directions and rubric, worksheets, and writing prompts.
- If used as a whole-class activity, create a gallery of the various projects
- Although designed specifically for gifted readers—either as an independent project or as a whole-class exercise—the activities are appropriate for most classrooms
- The link to a free e-book copy of The Coquette is provided
- The 31-page packet includes a rationale and overview of the approach, writing and project prompts, rubrics, worksheets, and a final assessment with an answer key
- A detailed plan is not included