This Earth, Can You Hear Me Now? lesson plan also includes:
How long did you say? Class groups plot the distances between Earth and Mars and determine the trigonometric function that models the data. Using a calculator, they graph the function to determine when the distance and communication times are the shortest, the optimum time to land a spacecraft on the Martian surface.
- Determine the distance between Mars and Earth today
- Find out when the optimum time to land a mission on Mars will be in the next few years
- Class should be familiar with graphing trigonometric functions
- The animation provides an explanation for why the distances are periodic
- Includes some real-life data in order to apply a learned skill