This Earthquakes Living Lab: Finding Epicenters and Measuring Magnitudes activity & project also includes:
Pairs use an online simulation to determine the epicenter and magnitude of an earthquake. Using real data about the earthquake's maximum S wave amplitudes, they then determine the magnitude. The resource provides a great career connection by urging pupils to reflect upon the experience and how it effects engineering.
- Invite a seismologist to visit the class to explain the process they use to determine the distance to an earthquake
- Work with the math teacher and use the formulas to do the actual calculations instead of using the computer to do the calculations
- Needs Internet-connected computers for half the class
- The answer document contains sample answers
- The simulation steps through the process and brings the user back to the beginning if there is an error
- The aligned NGSS is a middle school standard