This Earthquakes Living Lab: Geology and the 1906 San Francisco Earthquake activity also includes:
We can learn from the past to protect the future. Pairs look at two historical earthquakes: San Francisco, Calif., and Kobe, Japan. Pupils compare the two earthquakes and their impacts, then determine how engineers may use the information gleaned from previous earthquakes to help reduce effects of future disasters. Highly interactive, to complete the assessment, learners must create and present a PSA using information in the lesson.
- Use as an introduction to a unit on earthquakes
- Research what changes designers made to buildings after the California earthquake
- Every pair needs a computer with Internet access
- Contains an answer key for easier grading
- Includes needed links in both the handout and the teacher resource