This Earthquakes: Sixth Grade Lesson Plans and Activities unit also includes:
Young seismologists learn more about plate tectonics with a set of pre-lab, lab, and post-lab lessons plans on earthquakes. After exploring how waves travel through various materials, sixth graders record their observations and draw conclusions before constructing a model of fault movements.
- Create a word wall to include the following terms: seismic waves, liquefaction, frequency, crest, trough, S-waves, P-waves, mantle, earthquakes, and seismographs
- The second lesson in a four-part unit on the plate tectonic cycle
- Have class members refer to pages 5-8 in the portion of the workbook
- Provides blackline masters and the answer key to the lab questions
- Includes an auxiliary workbook for the entire unit
- Lesson assumes pupils have background knowledge of the earth's interior structure and how to conduct an experiment