This Earth's Heavenly Treasures: Hummingbirds lesson plan also includes:
Young ornithologists watch an informative video and use the Internet to gather data about the life, size, habitat, and migration of hummingbirds. The interdisciplinary lesson plan includes activities that target art, science, math, and language arts skills.
- If a visit to a local environmental center is not a possibility, invite a naturalist to speak to the class
- Have class members investigate the species of hummingbirds found in their area, their preferred habitat, and food sources
- Send the directions for crafting a hummingbird feeder home with class members as a family project
- Requires extra prep time to gather materials for the hummingbird feeder activity
- The detailed plan includes suggestions for where to stop the video and clarify understanding, a vocabulary list, and activities