Your science class may not enjoy ecology yet, but after this video series they are sure to be lichen it! An educational video explains ecological succession at the community level. It includes primary succession starting with pioneer species and no soil as well as secondary succession when an area still has soil.
- Have learners research how earthworms get onto islands that are formed by volcanoes and have no soil
- Print handouts aligned to the video at the publisher's website
- It is helpful for students to already know about plant reproduction, but it is not required
- The 31st video in a series of 33
- Lesson works well for a traditional or a flipped classroom
- Engaging cartoon graphics and discussion of the movie The Lion King hold learners' attention