This Edgewood ISD v. Kirby lesson plan also includes:
Have you ever wondered where the money comes from to pay for your school, teachers, supplies, and building? The 1989 Supreme Court case Edgewood ISD v. Kirby lays a framework for open discussion on the funding of public schools. Using a short video and group work, individuals create ideas on how to make school funding equal for all children.
- Extend the lesson with a Prezi on the Edgewood case
- Invite a local school board member to discuss how the group secures funding for your own district
- Students must work in pairs for the lesson
- Printable worksheets and materials for classroom instruction make the lesson easy to implement
- Incorporates differentiated instruction with video clip for audio and visual learners