This Edible Plate Tectonics lesson plan also includes:
Many people think they can't observe plate tectonics, but thanks to GPS, we know that Australia moves at a rate of 2.7 inches per year, North America at 1 inches per year, and the Pacific plate at more than 3 inches per year! Scholars explore plate tectonics through hands-on observations with foods. They also watch a video and complete data tables as part of an enjoyable instructional activity.
- Map recent earthquakes and discuss any relationships between plate boundaries
- Be aware of any food allergies before handing out materials
- Requires prior knowledge of the layers of Earth
- Memorable way to learn plate tectonics
- Includes high levels of pupil engagement throughout
- Provides teacher tips when necessary