This Editorials and Opinion Articles lesson plan also includes:
Reading the news is fun, and that's a fact! With the lesson plan, scholars differentiate between fact and opinion as they read editorial articles. They complete a worksheet to analyze the information before writing their own editorials as an extension to the lesson.
- Have learners embark on a newspaper or magazine scavenger hunt to find examples of the four most common types of editorial and opinion articles
- Encourage individuals to submit their editorials to a school-based publication or the local newspaper
- Select three editorial or opinion articles for the lesson, or have students find them in advance
- Requires printing the worksheet (one copy for each participant)
- Provides thoughtful discussion topics
- Worksheet includes analysis questions that facilitate critical thinking