El Nino, La Nina ... and the Santa Maria? The 11th installment of a 23-part NOAA Enrichment in Marine sciences and Oceanography (NEMO) program explains the mechanism of El Nino/Southern Oscillation. Pupils use previous data to determine if 2009-2010 was an El Nino year.
- Have learners find newspaper articles on the effect of El Nino
- Demonstration requires materials, such as food coloring
- Learners need to have knowledge of intersections between the ocean and the atmosphere (covered in previous lessons)
- Activity uses actual historical records
- Demonstration allows learners to see how El Nino works