What does an atom look like? The instructor in a tutorial video models how to use the periodic table to determine the number of subatomic particles. He then uses the number of electrons to create an orbital diagram. Finally, Groves models how to write the long and short form of the electron configuration.
- Assign the video as homework; use time in class to clarify content and then practice writing electron configurations
- Make the video available to absent pupils
- Expects a familiarity with the periodic table, so be sure to review it, or provide a copy
- Scaffolds the information to lead learners to the desired goal of writing the electron configuration
- The video uses a methodical approach to completing the problems, making it easy to follow