This End of the Cold War activities & project also includes:
How significant was the Cold War during the 20th century? After reading and analyzing speeches by Ronald Reagan and Mikhail Gorbachev, learners consider the historical context of foreign policy decisions made during the Cold War by both the United States and the Soviet Union.
- After handing out copies of the speeches, give students the opportunity to individually mark the text and perhaps use a primary source analysis template before beginning group discussion
- While the resource was originally designed as a professional development activity for teachers, the lesson is entirely appropriate for a general classroom setting with your students
- PDFs of both speeches provided
- Discussion questions, historical background, and sample conclusions about the speeches provided
- Content is given in one long block of text. If you would like to provide handouts, historical background, or conclusions separately, you will need to create new materials by copying and pasting the text into other documents