Is the ice cooling down the water or is the water melting the ice? Here is a simulation that explores thermal energy transfer with iron, brick, and water. It demonstrates the flow of energy and what happens when each material is either heated or cooled. The simulation allows pupils to actually see energy transfer rather than just study it at the scientific level.
- Boil water in your classroom and have scholars diagram where the energy started, when and how it was transferred, and the energy flow through the system
- Challenge pupils to design their own system with energy sources, thermal energy, and energy transfers
- Requires Java 1.5.0_15 or later for Windows and Linux machines and 1.5.0_19 or later for Macs
- Includes many teacher-submitted lessons that use the simulation; most are for middle or high school, but a few are even for elementary
- Translates the simulation into 39 different languages
- Excellent resource for visual learners