Where does the heat come from in hand warmers? Learn about enthalpy, the change in energy in a system, to see that when chemical bonds are broken or formed, energy moves into and out of a system because of chemical reactions.
12 Views 6 Downloads CCSS: Adaptable NGSS: Adaptable
- Pass hand warmers around to pairs of learners and have them explain how they give off heat
- Repeat after the video and have learners tweak their answers; share as a class
- Classroom must have a computer, Internet access, and a projection system to use the resource
- Good use of hand warmers (something most high school learners know about) to explain and demonstrate enthalpy
- Lengthy explanation and use of the mathematical formula for enthalpy may confuse some learners