Inspire first grade artists to learn about abstract and realistic art while reading Eric Carle's Where are you Going? To See My Friend. Young artists design and make a mural collage by tearing shapes of paper while comparing English and Japanese writing.
- Invite a Japanese guest to the classroom to teach the children how to write their names in Japanese
- Significant prep time is required for the lesson
- A variety of art materials are required, as well as the book Where are You Going? To See My Friend by Eric Carle
- Excellent art lesson that incorporates children's literature and abstract art
- A self-evaluation is included
- Doesn't provide learner art models