This Eruptions and Volcano Types lesson plan also includes:
The Mammoth Lakes area regularly releases warnings to hikers and skiers to be careful because melting snow releases trapped gases from volcanic vents. The 17th lesson plan in the 20-part series opens with a demonstration of carbon dioxide erupting silently and the impact it can have on people and the environment. Scholars experiment with alka seltzer eruptions using three different coverings to understand the types of volcanoes.
- Share clips from documentaries about volcanoes
- Requires science equipment that may be difficult to find, such as film canisters
- Assumes prior knowledge of the inner workings of volcanoes in order to understand the outer results that are covered in the lesson
- Lesson addresses multiple learning styles
- Follows a 5E format, which provides continuity throughout the series
- Requires videos, but it does not provide links