This Estimating Length Using Scientific Notation lesson plan also includes:
Would you rather have a million dollars or 1 x 10^6 dollars? To find the answer to this question, class members first complete an assessment task converting numbers between decimal notation and scientific notation. They then take part in a card matching activity where they match decimal notation and scientific notation with a real-world object, matching the measurements given to create a poster.
- Use the resource to introduce scientific notation
- Learners need to be able to work in scientific notation with both positive and negative exponents
- Assumes pupils know how to compare numbers in scientific notation
- Resource has suggestions for an optional extension activity
- Well-drawn diagrams help scholars visualize the concept
- Resource includes the definition of scientific notation