This Evidence of Evolution lesson plan also includes:
What an impression fossils make! In this activity, aspiring paleontologists view fossils and construct a timeline to further understand how the lack of natural adaptation caused historical organisms to become extinct. While they should have background knowledge of natural selection, this activity provides a way for educational discussions about adaptation and why some objects fail to adapt, resulting in extinction.
- Have students construct timeline for additional animals they choose
- Plan a field trip to a petrified forest to learn additional information about the effects of evolution
- Ask the class to provide fossils as a "show and tell" if they have access
- Requires background knowledge of natural selection
- No cleanup is required, and resources may be reused each year
- Expanded learning allows interested individuals to further research the topic and gather additional information