How do major religions, including Judaism, Christianity, and Islam, differ in how they view the role of individual freedoms within society, the definition of morality, and the importance of politically satisfying the greater good? Here is a fantastic lesson plan on how religion plays a role in multicultural societies, and where conflicts are likely to arise as a result of fundamental beliefs.
- Read through and discuss the Framing the Issues readings as a class before beginning group assignment
- Check out the teacher resource provided in additional materials for follow-up lessons, primary sources, and recommended readings
- You will need to determine how you would like learners to go about researching their positions. Consider providing supplemental texts or a list of online readings and websites
- This is more appropriate for learners who have strong independent research skills, as well as knowledge of how to construct a position statement
- Emphasis is placed on written position statements and developing perspective
- Learners work with peers to clarify their positions and gain a more comprehensive understanding of the different religions