This Exploring Rocks and Minerals lesson plan also includes:
Investigate the properties of rocks and minerals through a rockin' hands-on activity. Learners test rocks for various properties and, using a guide, attempt to identify different samples. They use various properties including hardness, streak, magnetism, optics, and chemical reactions.
- Ask individuals to bring in rock samples they would like to identify
- Give a lesson presentation on the physical properties of rocks and minerals prior to the lab investigation
- Classification kits are available for loan from the Cornell Center for Materials Research with a four-week notice
- This resource is only available on an unencrypted HTTP website. It should be fine for general use, but don’t use it to share any personally identifiable information
- Includes all necessary handouts and keys
- Provides a rubric for assessing the activity