This Exploring Variables While Testing and Improving Mint-Mobiles (for High School) activity & project also includes:
Mint candies are good for more than just one's breath. Using basic materials such as mint candies, straws, index cards, and Popsicle sticks, scholars create race cars that meet a given budget as well as design constraints. They perform an experiment to measure the distance the car travels down a ramp based on its mass, graph the data as a scatter plot, and analyze a line of best fit.
- Use the activity extensions as extra credit assignments
- Pupils should be familiar with how to create a scatter plot and line of best fit
- A middle school version of the activity is available as a separate resource
- Requires a variety of materials; see the resource for a complete list
- Lists some questions to use as part of a discussion session
- Provides definitions for relevant vocabulary terms