This Express Yourself Lesson Seed 11: Setting activity & project also includes:
- Graphic Organizer
- Join to access all included materials
Encourage your learners to examine the setting in Theodore Taylor's The Cay. Pupils work in small groups to put together a description of the setting before reading two more chapters of the book. They use their double-entry journals to record thinking as they read, and return to their groups and descriptions to add to previous work. Close with some analytical writing about how the setting is related to the plot.
- A sample graphic organizer is included to scaffold the analytical writing assignment
- Encourages cooperative learning and individual practice
- Since this is a lesson idea, not all procedures are detailed
- The word draft is printed through each page; you will need to type up your own version of the graphic organizer or transfer the chart to another document