This Factoring Trinomials Using Tiles lesson plan also includes:
What's the opposite of multiplying binomials? Learners apply their previous knowledge of multiplying binomials using algebra tiles to factor trinomials. The lesson introduces factoring as a process that uses algebra tiles to work backwards from multiplying binomials.
- Use this resource to introduce factoring trinomials
- Assumes learners understand how to use algebra tiles to multiply binomials
- It is possible to split the lesson into two days, one for when a = 1 and another for when a > 1
- Provides a link to an applet that uses virtual algebra tiles in case physical algebra tiles are not available
- New and veteran teachers alike will appreciate the post-reflection