This Finding Trends with Visualizations lesson plan also includes:
Pupils often hear about trends, but they don't always see them. The eighth activity in a unit of 15 requires individuals to use the Google Trends tool. Class members identify patterns in the visualization before presenting the patterns explaining them to the class.
- Have pupils research a current topic related to the school
- Discuss the difference between describing trends and connections between data and drawing conclusions about data
- It is possible to choose a topic that will not return any useful trend information, so check ahead of time to be sure the topic will work for the activity
- The handout provides a brief tutorial on how to use Google Trends
- The teaching tips give suggestions on other ways to share information