This Flame Test: Red, Green, Blue, Violet? activity & project also includes:
Let the true colors shine through. Pupils conduct a flame test to identify an unknown element. Class members calculate and prepare specific molarity solutions of three chemicals. Using their observations of the colors emitted, they compare them to a mystery material to determine the metal.
- Review the calculations needed to create the given molarity of a solution
- Class members should be knowledgeable about the electromagnetic spectrum
- Prepare the unknown solution and the wooden splints before the class
- The second part of a six-part unit
- The handout provides the pupils with the information they need to conduct the experiment
- The resource shows the calculations necessary to prepare the solutions