This Flame Tests of Metal Cations lesson plan also includes:
Scientists used flame tests to identify elements long before the invention of emission spectroscopy. Young chemists observe a flame test of five metal cations in the fourth lesson of an 11-part series. Individuals then work understand the wavelength emitted, the frequency and energy of the photons, and the types of electronic transitions occurring. Scholars complete the lab by practicing writing electron configurations for a variety of elements.
- Use additional metal cations if they are available
- Prepare additional looped wires in case some need to be tested twice to clearly determine the color observed
- Follow all safety procedures with an open flame
- Includes a pre-lab worksheet going over the concepts to be covered
- Provides data tables on the student worksheet