This Flow Rates of Faucets and Rivers lesson plan also includes:
Go with the flow and use a helpful resource. A set of two activities has learners investigate flow rates. They first determine the flow rate of a faucet by measuring how long it takes to fill a bucket. Using the results, they make a hypothesis about the flow rate of a local river.
- If possible, take a field trip to a local river to assess its flow rate
- Resource suggests that instructors try out the USGS website before conducting the lesson
- Pupils should have an understanding of volume/capacity and rates
- Activity requires a sink with faucets
- Provides worksheets for each part of the lesson
- Lists some possible extension activities