This Following Gene Transfer by Conjugation in Bacteria lesson plan also includes:
After the lab, you'll be able to solve this analogy: Natural selection is to vertical transfer of genes as ___ is to the horizontal transfer of genes. Young biologists conduct an experiment on E. coli bacteria to explore the process of conjugation. They learn that conjugation is one type of horizontal transfer of genes, with transformation and transduction being the other two methods.
- Have each group perform a different task to reduce total lab time
- Experiment requires preparation several days in advance
- Pupils should have knowledge of genes and gene transfer methods
- Provides safety information for each material
- Gives detailed teacher notes