Friction leads to movement, heat, and melting on such a small scale most people don't notice. A short simulation permits scholars to observe the reaction between atoms as they move together. The simulation applies the concept of thermodynamics to rubbing one book against another and relates heat to other types of energy.
- Use sand paper to perform a similar hands-on activity in class
- Requires the latest versions of Chrome or Firefox, Safari 6.1 and up, or Internet Explorer 10+
- Simulation lasts less than one minute, so be sure to have the computer or video already set before beginning to prevent wasting extra class time
- Includes links to 11 teacher-created lessons that utilize the simulation
- Translates into more than 40 different languages
- Simulation only includes one example, and you can only alter one variable