This Friendly Numbers lesson plan also includes:
- Lesson Plan
- Join to access all included materials
There are a number of different strategies young mathematicians can use when adding two-digit numbers. This instructional activity focuses on making addition easier by rounding the addends to friendly numbers, with the resulting sum being adjusted according to how much the addends were rounded up or down. After the teacher models this process, learners work in small groups solving and sharing solutions to additional problems before writing about friendly numbers in their math journals. A simple instructional activity that will bolster the number sense and fluency of primary grade students.
- This addition strategy is flexible, allowing learners to find sums in a variety of ways
- Provides a list of addition problems for learners to solve in small groups
- Requires an independent practice opportunity for learners to apply this new strategy on their own
- Scaffolding required to support all students with acquiring this new math skill