Looking for a straightforward app for practicing high-frequency words? You've found one here! This app includes all 1000 Fry words and several ways for kids to practice with each and every one.
Youngsters can practice all 1000 Fry words with this app. The words are organized into more easily digestible lists of 10 and also labeled in groups of 100 so that you can tell exactly where you are in the list. You can customize the app and flashcards to your liking by tapping on the gear icon in the upper-right corner.
- Switch between manually flipping the cards and timed transitions anywhere from 0.7 seconds per card to 10 seconds per card
- Toggle audio on and off
- Switch between Learn and Game; when in Game mode, a word is said out loud and students must choose the correct word from up to six choices
- Turn on looping
- Add, edit, and delete categories and cards of your choice; you can add your own audio recording here
- Change capitalization style and font size and color
- Alter the order of the cards
- Tap the star in the top-right corner of a card to add it to your favorites
- Select the speaker icon in the top-right corner of a card to repeat the audio
- Shuffle all cards
- Tap the i icon for links to support as well as instructions for use
The app does include a practice mode that provides visual and audio feedback for students. Otherwise, it's straightforward practice without a lot of bells and whistles.
There are plenty of ways you can customize the flashcards and lists. However, there is no way to track student progress or create profiles for individuals.
How techie do I need to be?
- Gradually move through these lists with your class. You could even record your own voice instead of using the default recording so pupils hear a familiar voice when they practice
- Set up stations in your class with sets of tablets; kids can practice their words with one another or individually
- Suggest this app to parents for extra at-home practice
- Project the app in Game mode and play together
- While you can have learners record their own voices for the cards, it's a bit tricky getting to that point; they will have to go through the settings menu, choose Customize Flashcards, find the specific list and card you want them to edit, and then select Record
- The word cards are quite customizable, more so than they appear at first glance (that gear menu is very important!)
- Includes all 1000 Fry words in short, manageable lists
- Easily switch between learning and practice modes; both provide audio, and the practice mode provides audio and visual feedback for learners
- There is no way to track progress or create separate users; this is just for on-the-spot practice