This Fuel Cell Experimentation lesson plan also includes:
With rising oil prices and increasing concerns over global warming, the pressure is on for engineers to develop alternative sources of energy. Among the new technologies being developed are hydrogen fuel cells, which young scientists investigate in this series of four experiments. Using a fuel cell car kit, students learn about the process of electrolysis as they measure the oxygen and hydrogen produced by decomposing water. Note that the experiments are somewhat complicated, so consider walking students through the procedures step by step to ensure the safe and successful completion of the lesson.
- Each fuel cell experiment is supported with diagrams and step-by-step procedures
- Includes a table and grid for recording and graphing experimental results
- Worksheet is provided that assesses student understanding of fuel cell experiments
- Experiments allow for cross-curricular connections between math and science
- Requires the purchase of fuel cell car kits from Thames & Kosmos, LLC
- Supplemental instruction is required to explain the chemistry involved in hydrogen fuel cells