Sometimes fuzzy, sometimes irregularly shaped—and occasionally cannibalistic? These are just a few of the remarkable galactic facts contained in a short video that's sure to amaze! The narrator describes the four main types of galaxies, what happens when galaxies collide, and a few notable galaxies near Earth.
- Show the resource as an introduction to the concept of galaxies outside our own Milky Way
- Need to get creative? Ask the class to journal about what it would be like if our galaxy collided with another large galaxy
- Prior knowledge of stars and their life cycles would be helpful in viewing the video
- Animated sequences show the dramatic results of galaxies colliding
- The narrator explains the history of galactic research, adding a great cross-curricular element