This GarageBand app also includes:
Imagine there's a recording studio on your smart phone or tablet. Its easy if you try this tool. Imagine all the instruments you can play. Imagine there's no charge. You may say it's a dream, but you can join this band with just a touch.
- Start at the very beginning, a very good place to start, by tapping Instruments in the control bar and selecting Sampler
- Tap the yellow question mark icon in the upper-right corner of this screen to learn more about the app
- Spend time playing with and familiarizing yourself with the various features of the program
- Check out David Cox's 30-minute YouTube tutorial "Garageband Tutorial for iPad," a link to which is provided in the Materials section below
- The wrench icon permits users to select settings, including tempo, key, and time signature
- The default setting permits the recording of eight bars; tap the plus icon to add more
- Multiple devices can be linked for a jam session by tapping the note icon in the upper-right corner of the tool bar
- Up to 32 tracks can be put down and layered
- Each track can be edited note-by-note
Every aspect of every track can be selected and edited
A free recording studio is absolutely worth the money
Discovery learning at its finest
How techie do I need to be?
- Check out the EdTech video interview (link below) with music teacher Michael Medvinsky to see how he uses GarageBand to connect language arts and music classes
- After a very brief introduction to some of the basic features, provide time for learners to play with the app and create their own sounds of music
- Get your friends on board, even those who live next door, for a jam session by tapping the note icon in the tool bar
- Appropriate for all ages and ability levels; novices can familiarize themselves with sounds, rhythms, tempos, etc., while experienced musicians can demonstrate their understanding of music composition and theory
- Multiple musicians can use the same device. However, there is no provision that prevents others from accessing all the saved songs.
- Prerecorded tracks and loops
- Requires a significant amount of time to become familiar with all the features of the program
- Very limited in-app training
- No brass instrument options