Survival is a game of chance, catch my drift? Examine the factors that influence genetic drift with an entertaining video from a large biology playlist. The resource covers the myriad conditions that come into play when a species encounters a new situation and how populations react over time to changes great and small.
- Pose the question "Are small populations more affected by changes to their environments than large populations?" and have pupils write down their thoughts
- Include the video in an evolution unit to introduce genetic drift
- Take some time after the video to make sure the class understands the mechanisms of genetic drift before they move forward
- The Halloween candy scenario used to open the video is a great hook that could be modified into a demonstration
- Great examples help move the video along