Give your class a magnetic charge with this creative experiment designed to teach emerging scientists about electromagnetism. Pupils construct a model that demonstrates the function of an electrical generator and test this creation in a controlled environment. They conclude by participating in a discussion on energy and electricity.
- Hold a class discussion about the importance of magnetism in relation to Earth's atmosphere
- Research electrical power plants and discuss their importance as well as the risk factors they pose on those who live nearby
- Ensure magnets are not held near anything that could be damaged as a result
- Cleanup is minimal, and materials used are nontoxic
- Provides the ability to expand this lesson and relate it to daily occurrences in our local environment
- Does not include a formal assessment or worksheet as a concluding piece to the activity