This Gimli Glider—Anecdotes for Chemistry Teachers worksheet also includes:
What's the moral of this story? Units save lives! Teach measurement conversion through storytelling in a quick math-based lesson. Young scientists learn how one country's decision to swap from imperial to metric standard units caused an emergency airplane landing, then perform the calculations that could have prevented the mishap.
- Open the lesson by asking the class how easy or difficult they think it would be for a country to change its measurement units to a different system
- Have students conduct research into other occasions where using incorrect units of measurement has made a big difference in the outcome of a situation
- Pupils should have a basic understanding of density and how it is calculated
- For younger learners, show some examples of common imperial measurements in metric form to provide a frame of reference
- The scenario is impactful and adds interest to the lesson
- Teacher's guide includes an answer key