This Global Sea Surface Currents and Temperature video also includes:
Get lost at sea amid colorful ocean currents! Learners discover the patterns of movement and temperature in the North Atlantic's currents through a simulation, part of PBS's Weather and Climate series. The resource contains background reading, discussion questions, and great ideas for implementation.
- Expand the lesson by including a short video showing more of the ECCO2 computational model at work
- Ask pupils to relate the color/temperature of the current to its location versus the equator
- Before starting the animation, point out that cooler currents are blue and warmer currents are red
- Depending upon the class's level of ability, consider viewing the resource as a whole class, then discuss
- The animation is full of beautiful, subtly moving patterns that relate ocean temperature to currents
- Support materials are easy to locate and add value to the lesson