An example of extreme genetic engineering is modified salmon, which are genetically altered to grow twice their size and swim twice as fast — and they're probably in grocery stores already! The video explores synthetic biology or the manufacturing of organisms. It discusses extreme genetic engineering, its concerns, and possibilities.
- Have learners write a survey to sample their peers' feelings about genetic engineering and post results, then discuss
- Explore and research further developments in synthetic biology and discuss as a class
- Can access Scishow's Twitter account for more up-to-date ideas, topics, and discussions
- Interesting and engaging topic due to controversy and fascinating possibilities
- Use closed captioning for viewers with hearing disabilities or for those who struggle with English