This Going Back in Time Using “George Washington’s Socks” lesson plan also includes:
After reading Elvira Woodruff's George Washington's Socks, young readers and writers embark upon writing their own historically based story, with a focus on developing ideas and details throughout the piece. In small groups, class members begin by reviewing student examples of the assignment and discussing idea development. Then, equipped with a prewriting worksheet and graphic organizer, they draft their own story about an adventure back in time!
- Great samples of student work to use as a model for assignment
- Useful self-reflection checklist on student rough draft worksheet
- Download prewriting worksheet and graphic organizer to edit
- Provides suggestions for historical topics and pertinent considerations in developing ideas for writing
- Instructor may wish to incorporate one more activity focusing on the actual process of really developing ideas in writing
- Will require instructional time and support for conducting research