In this unit designed for second graders, youngsters are introduced to conducting surveys and creating tally charts based on the data they gather. Students then construct bar graphs, and observe the relationships between the two types of graphs. The highlight of these lessons instructs the students to explain their thinking in words.
- Can be used for third graders as well
- Contains three, 60-minute lessons that are meant to be broken up over the course of three days
- Some prior knowledge of tally charts and bar graphs is necessary
- Review and set up materials before instruction
- Lessons promote in-class discussions
- Includes reproducibles and answer keys for each task