This Grade 10 ELA Module 1: Unit 2, Lesson 1 lesson plan also includes:
The complex relationship between a teacher and his student takes center stage in a lesson that asks readers to pay close attention to how author Ethan Canin introduces his characters, and how he develops the character of the narrator of his short story "The Palace Thief."
- Preview the entire unit plan, as well as the full module, through the links provided in the Include Materials section
- Ask a class member to prepare a masterful reading of the opening pages of "The Palace Thief"
- In addition to the in-class readings, class members are also responsible for an out-of-class Accountable Independent Reading (AIR) assignment
- The first in an 13-lesson unit that uses Ethan Canin's short story "The Palace Thief" as an anchor text
- The unit, the second in a module of three, builds on the protocols and routines established in the first unit
- The 11-page packet includes the plan, a vocabulary list, discussion questions and sample responses, differentiation considerations, a Quick Write prompt, and a homework assignment
- Class members may be challenged by the sameness in the format of all the lessons in the three-unit module
- Some readers may need additional support to keep up with their Accountable Independent Reading (AIR) assignment
- No introduction to the new unit is provided