This Grade 10 ELA Module 1: Unit 3, Lesson 3 lesson plan also includes:
Few works of literature capture the complex relationships between mothers and daughters like Amy Tan's The Joy Luck Club. Tenth graders read "Rules of the Game," which describes Waverly's youth in chess tournaments, and compare the way she approaches chess strategy to her relationship to her mother.
- Prompt your class to write about their own relationships with parents or caregivers, or to journal about a skill or sport they learned as a child
- Model effective annotation on the whiteboard with a document camera
- The unit only focuses on a few chapters from the book; assign the novel in its entirety to older or more advanced readers before starting the instruction
- Provides a model tracking worksheet with suggestions for notable quotes
- Comes with a full version of the unit, as well as the module and auxiliary reading materials