This Grade 12 ELA Module 1: Unit 1, Lesson 14 lesson plan also includes:
As a mid-unit assessment, individuals craft an in-class, formal essay response to a prompt that asks them to use textual evidence to identify Haley's purpose; as well as analyze how the structure, style, and content contribute to the first 11 chapters of The Autobiography of Malcolm X.
- Encourage writers to use their worksheets to supply textual evidence for their essays
- The 14th in a 28-lesson unit on narrative writing that uses The Autobiography of Malcolm X as an anchor text and as a model for the personal narrative required on the college Common Application
- The exercise presumes class members have experience writing timed essays
- The 12-page packet includes the writing prompt, the essay rubric, and models of high-performance responses
- Common Core designed
- The writing prompt presumes class members have experience using textual evidence to support a claim