This Grade 12 ELA Module 1: Unit 1, Lesson 15 lesson plan also includes:
The discussion of chapter 12 of The Autobiography of Malcolm X focuses on Haley's narrative techniques; particularly how he uses point of view and foreshadowing to build interest and suspense. As homework, class members read and annotate chapter 13 of the text, as well as continue drafting their personal essay.
- Be prepared to discuss, or invite a community member or parent to talk about current practices in "the Muslim home"
- Lesson 15 launches the second half of a 28-lesson unit that uses The Autobiography of Malcolm X as an anchor text, and as a model for the personal narrative required on the college Common Application
- A protocol must be in place for the safe, respectful discussion of controversial topics
- The 15-page packet includes a plan, discussion questions with sample responses, and the homework assignment
- A Common Core designed lesson