This Grade 12 ELA Module 1: Unit 1, Lesson 17 lesson plan also includes:
Integration versus separation. Readers of chapter 14 of The Autobiography of Malcolm X examine Malcolm X's views on other Civil Rights leaders and on their ideas of integration. Class members also return to the narrative essay strand of the unit by responding to the college application prompt about the activities they find most rewarding.
- Preview the Hate that Hate Produced documentary, available on the Internet, to determine if appropriate for your learning situation
- The 17th in a series of a 28-lesson unit on narrative writing that uses The Autobiography of Malcolm X as an anchor text, and as a model for the personal narrative required on the college Common Application
- A protocol must be in place for the safe, respectful discussion of controversial topics
- The 13-page packet includes the brief plan, discussion questions and model responses, and the homework assignment
- Common Core designed
- No attempt is made to integrate the college writing stand into the lesson